Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Some Small Things # 14 - Act of God

 Disclaimer: Not very uppity. Do not read if you think I'm going to ruin your day with my problems.

This is a little more than I can take, which is why I used the phrase as my title. My world is crumbling beneath my feet.

I am constantly having to rise from all the problems the universe throws at me. However, today took me unawares.

I may (or may not) have mentioned this before, but I am in college by the generosity of my very good friends (the sponsored my full tuition for my 2nd year) and brothers and more recently under the sponsorship from very kind alumni writing my ticket to non-academics. I have endured pressures from monetary difficulties and family disputes (that go a very long way), but today I feel I am at a great loss.

The very good provider of a mother that I unfortunately have (as I may or may not have mentioned before) adopted a boy and put him through private school. Both of which I do not approve of (the prior I did not know until I saw the child) for obvious reasons (money and feuds). Now that my mother realizes that we cannot afford to put him through such privileged education, she is asking people where she could possibly move the boy (despite the fact that my sister, the boy's legal guardian, wanted him study at a good-enough public school).

That's just the cake. Where's the frosting?

She is imposing on me to pay for the boy's education. Her reasoning behind this statement:
"Your sister is useless. She won't even provide the boy milk!"
Mother, that's because you never thanked her for whatever else she could give, and when she couldn't you treated her like trash.
"I'm getting old. You have to help me."
You're age is no excuse. You chose to adopt a child (albeit under my sister's name), you take responsibility. You have put so much of your failure on my shoulders I cannot take anymore. I cannot.
"I am your mother."
I am your son. If you think children are reared to provide for you in your old age, then you are gravely mistaken. If that is your idea of love, you are gravely mistaken. I will not put myself in a position where I give and all I get in return is your scorn.

- - -

Thesis. Thesis. Hell. On. Earth. Not because it's difficult. Oh no, no, no. The circumstances prevent me from moving forward. My thesis adviser (may the gods help her family) is on leave due to a family emergency. I only hope that someone can take me in before I lose everything.

Act of God.

Moved by the unmovable mover of things.

I laugh at the universe and its sick sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment