Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stuff on the Side # 6 - For Your Information

During my typical commute to and from school, I notice something that I didn't quite mind before. If you don't already know, I take trikes to and from school from time to time (mostly during times where I need to beat the clock) because the trikes take a faster route, but they're more expensive than travelling by jeep.

So I ride a trike on the way home and notice a notice (see what I did there) on the windshield of the passenger car. On the notice it says the rates of each ride. Regular passengers pay the regular rate (around Php7-9 per person or Php 15-17 for special trips) while senior citizens, disabled peeps, preggy mommies, and students have a discount (I don't remember, but I know it's a whole lot cheaper).

Before I paid for the fare (which strangely happens after every ride) I asked the trike driver about the notice. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Kuya ano po ibig sabihin nitong notice? (Sir, what does this notice mean?)
Driver: Anong notice? Saan? (What notice? Where?)

Me: Eto ho *points at the thing*. Sabi po rito may discount mga estudyante. (Over here. It says students have a discount.)

Driver: Ha...

Me: Magkano po ba pag estudyante? (How much is it for students?)

Driver: dise ocho. 
aside - 18 bucks is how much they usually charge. I assume it's the 17 regular fare +  Php1 per extra kilometer.

Me: Nakalagay po sa notice 15 pesos lang po pag estudyante. (The notice says students only have to pay 15 bucks)
aside - but it was actually 13 bucks + 0.5 pesos per extra kilometer. I just told him 15 bucks so he still gets some extra.

Driver: *doesn't reply*

Me: *hands him 20 bucks* eto kuya oh. (Here you go, sir.)

Driver: *hands me 2 bucks*

Me: Kuya yung, discount. (Sir, the discount.)

Driver: *Irritable* akin na yang dos. *hands me 5 bucks* sa susunod dise ocho bayad. Pagbibigyan lang kita ngayon.
-end of conversation-

SO. What have I learned from this encounter? One thing that I thought was that none of the trike drivers knew about the notice which meant that they were unknowingly exploiting commuters of their money. That or they knew about the notice and exploited the hell out of commuters.

To those of you who commute, when you see notices like these, know about it and inform. Approach the appropriate authorities and ask about details. If you see people being talked out of their money, tell the appropriate authorities. You have the right to be informed. You have the right to inform. To everyone in general, know the rules and respect them. They're there for a reason. We didn't survive as a race by killing each other.

P.S.

To the people manning public utility vehicles, I know you're trying to earn a living for god knows what reason. Please earn your money legitimately. One way or another, you're going to regret breaking the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment